Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Pilgrim's Concern for Today's Worship

Jeremiah Burroughs: Gospel Worship

The reason why we worship God in a slight way is because we do not see God in His glory.”
I will be sanctified”, that is,“I will have My name appear to be holy.  I will make known unto My people, and to all the world, that I am a holy God.”  That’s the meaning of “I will be sanctified.”  I will be known to all the world as a holy God.   
“…yet it is fitting for you to submit to God.  It is fitting that God should be glorified, whatever becomes of you.  You are dear to God, but God’s name is dearer to Him than you are.”
“So God is sanctified in two ways.  One is by the holiness of His people and their conduct towards Him, holding forth the glory of God’s holiness.  So you have in 1 Peter 3:15: “sanctify the Lord God in your hearts.”  The saints sanctify God in their hearts when they fear God as a holy God, and reverence Him and love Him as a holy God.  They sanctify Him in their lives when their lives hold forth the glory of God’s holiness. Then God is sanctified.  But then, if we do not do so, God sanctifies Himself in ways of judgment upon those who do not sanctify His name in ways of holiness.”  …”In the way of the execution of judgment, thus I will sanctify Myself, so I will be sanctified in those that draw nigh unto Me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment